Energy Healing for People with Disabilities at SACARE
Have you heard of Reiki (pronounced Ray-key)? It’s a form of holistic therapy that is actually making a positive impact within the SACARE community.
Energy Healing, whilst some people may perceive it as a “hippy practice” due to its lack of medical research done for it in the western world, is proving more and more to be much more powerful than we think.
So what is Reiki exactly? In Japanese, literally meaning “universal life energy”, is a healing technique used by a therapist to channel energy into a patent by physical touch (palm to body), to activate the natural healing processes of the patient’s body and restore physical and emotional well-being. Reiki may be spiritual in nature, however it is not a religion nor dependent on any belief other than the power of the human touch.
Debra Johnstone, the Support Independent Living Manager at Tolley House has worked with many Healing Energies, including Reiki. Here she shares her experience:
“I am a great believer in the power of Universal Lifeforce Energies, regardless of what they are called or how they are channelled. They have become a part of everyday life for me and I’m not the only one at Tolley House to use and channel these Energies.
These Energies make a difference! Let me share an example with you…
Two or so years ago, a client arrived at Tolley House. She was verbally and physically aggressive, not interested in life, didn’t care for herself and didn’t allow us to care for her. We found it incredibly challenging to offer the support and care she needed. She fought with me one morning whilst I attempted to shower her and it was then I consciously decided to use Reiki healing on her. To begin with, I used distance healing and as time progressed, she mellowed enough to let me shower her and lay my hands on her, I then used direct healing. She wasn’t aware of what I was doing, but she did tell me she always felt good when I showered her. That backfired on me to begin with, as I was the only one she allowed to shower her. But gradually over time, others were also allowed to assist her. Unbeknownst to most of my colleagues, I would put the Energies into this client’s room and bathroom ahead of time.
This client now allows most Support Workers to assist her, some of whom she now refers to as her friends. Her relationship with her housemates has improved and she now takes an interest in them, participating in activities and enjoys her life. She now calls Tolley House her home and those living or working within the environment, her family.
What a difference Healing Energies have made in her life. It matters not what these Energies are called or how they are channelled, so long as we acknowledge the greater power of life force and open ourselves to its presence and use, then we can make such a difference in the lives of those we care for at SACARE.”
If you are open to it, Reiki can have the following health benefits:
- Reiki reduces stress and helps the body relax and balance the immune system to help you sleep better and improve overall well being
- It helps balance out the emotions and can assist in a peaceful state of mind which allows you to cope with everyday stress and negative emotions like fear, frustration and anger.
- Reiki also calms the mind and when our mind is calm our memory is improved and our thoughts become more clear and easier to process and communicate.
- Reiki can relieve chronic pain such as migraines, joint pain, and muscle pain. It also helps with asthma, chronic fatigue, insomnia and menopausal symptoms.
- It assists with the recovery from surgery and chemotherapy by reducing the side effects of drugs.
- Reiki helps maintain overall health and wellbeing.
- We look forward to learning more about the positive impact that Reiki has on people with disability.
If you’d like to find our some more information about therapeutic services SACARE provides, please follow this link!